Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Big Brother Wants to Know All About You: The American Community Survey

Click Here to Read John Whitehead's Commentary



So what you are saying, in essence, is that we are really REQUIRED to answer the very instrusive questions in this survey, or risk losing our home and our freedom if we don't? To me, this is not freedom, as you have indicated, if only certain people face this risk, and not the population as a whole. Somehow, also, I don't believe for a minute that people are randomly picked. This year, once again, our oldest daughter (49) and her fifteen year old multi-racial daughter moved in with us. We also have a small trailer in Florida, which we are trying to sell, but have spent part of every winter for the past couple of years out of the state in which we live. So all of a sudden, a daughter who receives state benefits, with a non-white child, and we who have worked part-time until this spring, are being asked these very intrusive questions.

I also, contacted our state representatives, of course to no avail. I had never heard of these surveys until this year, as has no one else I have talked to--so why do they keep this quiet, if it is so legal and necessary? We have had many stressors in our lives in the past few years, and now I am losing sleep over this--it definitely is Big Brother watching, especially when you hear that laptops from census takers have gone missing, etc. If I sound angry, I am angry beyond belief--this sounds like a conspiracy of some kind, and I am usually not a conspiracy theorist.

In the on-line research I have done, apparently 45% of the people who receive these do not respond--what happens to these people? Sounds like we could be subjected to harassment of various kinds--also the threat that hangs over us sounds very, very 1984ish to me.

B. Meyers


No comments:

Post a Comment