Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Has the First Amendment Become an Exercise in Futility?

Click Here to See the Video Blog




This morning I found myself nodding in agreement as I read John Whitehead's column in the Lynchburg News & Advance headlined, "Free speech: an exercise in futility?"

Today it seems that ordinary citizens from both sides of the political spectrum find themselves with something in common -- disconnection from elected and government-appointed officials. Whether it's "Occupy" or "Tea Party" participants, political disenfranchsement seems to be common ground. As for me, a conservative Democrat (believe it or not), I also feel left out of the process. It seems that "big money" controls the steering wheel. I've noticed that man fellow citizens from a variety of political perspectives sadly agree with the notion that, "Our opinions don't matter ... other than during an occasional vote in a media-hyped election process. Elected leaders and candidates seem "out of touch" with many voters, or way too focused on stereotypical "hot buttons" which they ignor soon after elections. So what to do?

I don't know. I hope you do. If so, let me know. I have run an advertising/PR firm for the last 28 years. If your organization offers solutions that make common sense and serve the common good, I would like to help. Meanwhile, I will look over your web site with hope in my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment