Monday, January 24, 2011

Renewing the Patriot Act While America Sleeps

Click Here to Read John Whitehead's Commentary





Dear sirs,

I enjoyed Mr. Whitehead's commentary, but it comes as too little, too late. The America in which I was born and grew up is gone and it is not coming back.

As a physician-researcher (often for military and government projects) turned businessman, I have witnessed first-hand the stunningly rapid increase in data collection on ordinary Americans. As a frequent traveler abroad I also have experienced first-hand the abusive behavior by TSA and Customs officials, including extensive searches of me, my luggage, computer files and other personal items. On one occasion at Boston's Logan Airport, I was detained in a small room for interrogation for over 3 hours as my luggage, clothes, phone and computer were quite literally taken apart in front of me - while four armed Customs officers shouted insults at me and accused me of numerous crimes. During this particular episode I was told that I was required by law to answer all questions; was not allowed to call my attorney or anyone else; was told I could be detained indefinitely; was falsely accused of verbally threatening a Customs officer; was handcuffed and repeatedly threatened with arrest for asserting and maintaining my right to remain silent; and my audio recording of the event on a second phone was erased and over-written by these officers. Subsequently, I have been "randomly selected" for Customs searches literally every time I re-entered the U.S.

The United States will never be what it was. Therefore, I chose to leave the U.S. to live permanently in Europe. I am not alone. I have encountered many American expatriates here, who like myself, discovered the only hurdle was transferring our businesses and assets overseas. Since we bring businesses and create jobs, we all have been welcomed by the governments here. At least here they make no pretense of living in freedom under an enforceable Constitution and Bill of Rights. I think it was Thomas Paine who wrote, “It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.” Unfortunately, anyone in the U.S. expressing that opinion today is placed on a "terrorist watch" list.

Mr. Whitehead expressed some fine sentiments in his article, but they are too little, too late.

Jack H.



No comments:

Post a Comment